Physical Education plays a vital part in child's development. Physical education develops the physical competence and confidence in students. It provides opportunities for students to be creative, competitive and to face different challenges as individuals as groups. It promotes physical skills, physical development and knowledge of body in action.
The key areas of physical education are taught throughout the year in classes I to 5. Children take part in an hour of physical exercise each week. Healthy competition is encouraged, as children develop their ability to take part in competitive games.
Our students are divided into four houses viz., Cauvery, Ganga, Godavary and Yamuna. Each house is represented by a distinct colour.
- Ganga - Red
- Cauvery - Blue
- Godavary - Green
- Yamuna - Yellow
During the winter, a traditional Sports' Day is held, which hosts various sports activities including races such as lemon and spoon, sack and obstacle race, etc. This is an occasion enjoyed by the whole school community with the children being cheered by a large crowd of enthusiastic children, family and friends.
Watching our students, dressed in the respective house uniform, and marching with their head held high along with the senior students on Sports Day, is a spectacular treat to eyes.
Students compete and learn the skills required for 100m, 200m, 800m, hurdles, relays, javelin, long jump and high jump. All students take part on Sports Day.
Taek-won-do is one of the most systematic and scientific Korean traditional martial arts that teaches more than physical fighting skills.
- Enhancement of self-esteem by heightening one's physical and mental powers.
- Building confidence by encouraging one to succeed and to take control of one's life.
- Develop self-discipline by training one's body and mind in line with a set of techniques.
- Teaching self-defence by training one to recognize situations in which physical self-defence may be necessary and teaching one how to control such situations to one's advantage.
- Strengthen mind and body through increased physical coordination and mental discipline.
- Taek-won-do masters are seriously involved in engaging our students in various skills of the art to produce champions as well as keep our students physically-fit.
- Chess accommodates all modality strengths.
- Chess offers immediate punishments and rewards for problem solving.
- Chess creates a pattern or thinking system that, when used totally, breeds success. The chess-playing students become accustomed to looking for more and different alternatives while solving a problem.
- Chess classes promote mental alertness, and challenges students to be creative and think out of the box.
- We have an expert to teach chess for our students.
Yoga has been practised for more than 5000 years. Yoga classes focus on teaching asanas. It offers many health benefits by helping students gain flexibility, strength and balance. While performing yoga asanas, our body releases lactic acid that is built up with muscle use. With regular practice yoga asanas lubricate the joints and help the practitioners experience fluidity throughout their body. In short yoga is a gateway to good health.
- Attainment of perfect equilibrium and harmony
- Promotes self- healing
- Removes negative blocks from the mind and toxins from the body
- Enhances personal power
- Increases self-awareness
- Helps in attention of focus and concentration, useful especially for students
- Reduces stress and tension in the physical body by activating the parasympathetic nervous system
The aspirant feels rejuvenated and energized. Thus, yoga bestows upon every aspirant the powers to control body and mind. Yoga practice at Chinmaya is considered not only a religious but a wellness activity as well - "a healthy mind in a healthy body".
Skating lessons are provided to children and practice sessions are held in the school. The skating program covers basics of skating, striding, stopping and turning, Starting with the basics of skating, choosing the right skates, body positioning for balance to making them proficient, the skating trainer guides the children in the art of skating. He also makes every skating experience an enjoyable and memorable one.